I have done everything to get into a four year credited college. I got good grades, took the SATs (several times I might add), took online classes (some even with a normal school load), even graduated a year early! Now, all I'm asking is for a little help from the world. But I am not asking for anything for free. I will work for anything you have to offer. And remember, nothing is too small or too insignificant. Advice or a kind word is as greatly appreciated as a donation or contribution.

Pages

Twitter

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lazy days of summer....HA!

Every summer I've ever had has been pretty much the same. When school ends my whole entire day is free because I don't have to go to class, but I can't find anything to do but sit around, read, watch tv, go on the internet, or watch a movie. All very lazy days of summer.
This summer, however, instead of sitting around and doing pretty much nothing I find myself doing more than I probably ever have in all the previous summers I remember (except the ones spent doing online classes!). I've struggled with becoming an adult, paying bills I can't afford, dealing with a boss that is incredibly difficult, planning an 11 day trip to college, learning how to talk to the counselors in admissions and financial aid, and finding more work.

And let me tell you, there is NOT a lot of work out there for 17 year olds with no car. I mean, I get that transportation is important...but how can employers expect a teenager to have a car? Don't cars cost money? Last time I checked, they most certainly do. How is a teenager supposed to buy a car before they even have a chance to earn any money? The only reason teenagers have a car is because their parents got them one for their birthday. But all of the other teenagers who don't have wealthy (and I don't mean rich) parents, get stuck between a rock and a hard place.
And to top it all off, if you're a teen and don't have any prior experience, you are given this look like you're a leper. Just because you don't have any experience waiting tables or ringing up clothes doesn't mean you're a bad worker.

The weirdest part of it all is that most all of my other friends got jobs when they were 16, and I still can't find one at 17. How did they score that? I mean, I went to all the same places they did, how come nobody hired me? And when I went to places like Build-A-Bear, Forever 21, or Borders, the people there said you had to be 18 to work there. So I was like: ok, fine. Then, when I asked a few friends...they all said that those places hire at 16, they even had one of their friends work there, and she was 16. So naturally, I was confused. Why is everyone saying something different? All I wanna do is work for my money...why is everyone making it so hard?

Anyway, the point of this post is to say that this summer has definitely been more demanding than it has ever been. I never knew in all my years that growing up was this hard. I don't know if all of this is bubbling up now that I am preparing for college, or if it is just because I'm going all the way to Washington. Either way, this summer has been everything but lazy.


That's all I have to say for tonight. Sorry it has been so long since my last post, but at least now you know why :)

Goodnight to all,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment